Renew Passport

Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True:

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

check image  Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
  Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  Was issued within the last 15 years
  Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person

A Note on the U.S. Passport Card:If you are a previous passport book holder and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail – even if it is your first passport card!

How to Renew Your U.S. Passport by Mail:

  • From Inside the United States:

    To renew your U.S. Passport by mail, you must submit Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. Locate Form DS-82 and step-by-step instructions at Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail.

    How long will it take to process your passport application? See Application Processing Times.


    • If your most recent U.S. passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail – you must Apply in Person.
    • We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.
    • In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, it is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8″ x 9 1/2″) envelope.
    • Passports renewed by mail in the United States may only be mailed to United States and Canadian addresses.
    • If you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport (See Child Support).
  • From Outside the United States:

    U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.

    U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by Mail to the address listed on the form.

Need a U.S. Passport Immediately?

You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:

  • The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
  • The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.

Leave a Reply