|As of ( Wednesday January 16, 2013 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.
|As of ( Wednesday January 16, 2013 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).
Already Applied for a Passport? Check Status Online
Currently, it is taking 5-7 days for applications to be tracked online. It may take less time if you paid for Expedite Service and sent your application via overnight delivery.
Please remember when calculating processing times, passport cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery. All passport cards are returned using First Class Mail.
If you are Traveling within 14 Days or Need a Passport for a Foreign Visa within 4 Weeks and:
- Have not yet applied, see Schedule an Appointment to submit your application at a Passport Agency.
- Have already applied, see National Passport Information Center to contact a Customer Service Representative when you are 7 days out from your travel date.
If you are not traveling within 14 days or Need a Passport for a Foreign Visa within 4 Weeks and:
- Have not yet applied, see How to Apply for the First Time or How to Renew Your U.S. Passport for information on how and where to apply.
- Have already applied, please refer to the application processing times above. Please Note: the application processing times above apply to all types of passport services, including requests for a name change and additional visa pages.
Information About Expedited Service
The door-to-door 2-3 week estimated timeframe for receipt of your passport takes into consideration the:
- Additional time it may take to receive your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center when you apply for Expedited Passport Processing through a designated Passport Acceptance Facility; and
- Additional time it may take to mail the passport to you.
Effective June 16, 2008, the Department’s standard for expedited passport processing completion, as defined in 22 CFR 51.56, is five business days from either:
- Receipt of your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center; or
- If the passport application is already at a Passport Agency/Center, the date your request for expedited passport processing is approved.
Expedited passport processing is considered complete when the passport is ready to be picked up by an applicant or when it is put in the mail to the applicant.
SPECIAL MAILING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Customers who apply for a renewal by mail must clearly mark “Expedite” on the outside of the mailing envelope, for the Expedited Passport Processing times to accurately apply.
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.
- In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.