SelfEmployed Persons

You are self-employed if you: 
Carry on a trade or business as a sole proprietor,

  • Are an independent contractor,
  • Are a member of a partnership, or
  • Are in business for yourself in any other way.

Self-employment can include work in addition to your regular full-time business activities, such as certain part-time work you do at home or in addition to your regular job. Y

You must file a return if your gross income is at least as much as the filing requirement amount for your filing status and age (shown in Table 1-1).

Also, you must file Form 1040 and Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax, if:
1. Your net earnings from self-employment (excluding church employee income) were $400 or more, or
2. You had church employee income of $108.28 or more. (See Table 1-3.)

Use Schedule SE (Form 1040) to figure your self-employment tax. Self-employment tax is comparable to the social security and Medicare tax withheld from an employee’s wages. For more information about this tax, see Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business.

Leave a Reply